Field Trips and Educational Experiences
Offered September 15, 2021 - October 29, 2021.
Learning is an educational adventure on the farm! Field Trips to Rader Family Farms are a great way to educate children through entertainment. We have designed a fall field trip that is a memorable learning experience for preschool through 4th grade children. Each year we host around 5,000 school children and their parents from in and around McLean County. We hope you make a trip to the farm part of your learning experience this fall.
Our fall field trips are self-guided, 2-hour rotations of fun on the farm. Receive an itinerary at check-in and enjoy your day!
Please make a reservation for your Field Trip on the calendar below.
- Register online at the bottom of this page by selecting a time slot in the calendar. An email confirmation will be sent once your reservation is complete.
- All field trips MUST be paid in full two weeks prior to your field trip date.
- Payment may be made in one of two ways: Come to Admissions during regular farm hours to make payment (cash, check or credit card) and pick up bands OR call the farm (309) 454-6880 ext. 116 to make a credit card payment, then pick up your bands the day of your field trip.
- If additional wristbands are needed for children, they can be purchased at Admissions the day of the field trip. Please note: We ask that you do your best to get numbers correct and finalize ALL payments prior to the field trip.
- Parents need to pay at Admissions the day of the field trip. Teachers should NOT submit admission payment for their parents.
Things to know regarding Field Trips
- Field trips are intended for those age 3 through 4th grade.
- Field trips begin at 10 a.m., 12 p.m., 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. on Wednesdays through Fridays. No field trips on Mondays or Tuesdays, Saturdays or Sundays.
- You are welcome to play first if you arrive prior to your start time.
- Spots are filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Allow at least 2 hours for your field trip and play time on all the activities.
- Please be at the Round-Up starting point promptly at your designated time. We reserve the right to shorten the field trip of groups that arrive 15 minutes past their start time.
- Dress appropriately for outside weather. Shoes must be worn! Closed-toe shoes are best. Wear jackets, hats, and gloves on cooler days.
- Accessible restroom facilities are available around the farm.
- Water fountains are not available on the farm. ONLY when on a field trip are you allowed to bring drinks. Drinks are available for purchase. A 24-bottle case of water is available for $10.
- NO OUTSIDE FOOD is allowed on the farm except for scheduled field trips.
- Please review the Farm Safety Information on our website prior to your visit.
Field Trip admission charges
- No charge for 1 teacher per class.
- No charge for 1 parent/teacher for homeschool groups.
- $10 charge for each child/student.
- $10 charge for additional teachers.
- $10 charge for each parent. No limit on number of parents. Age 2 and under are free.
- Season Passes MAY be used by a parent, sibling or teacher on a field trip. Season passes may NOT be used by students on a field trip.
- There is no minimum number of children required, but there is a minimum charge of $100 per field trip/per visit. This minimum dollar amount includes admission cost for children and teachers and the picnic area fee.
- Smaller groups may need to combined with another group to meet the minimum charge for the field trip.
- Full payment is required two weeks prior to the field trip and admission bands must be picked up at the farm prior to your visit.
- Once you have paid in full for your group, there are no refunds if the students do not end up coming. Please double check your numbers before paying.
- Cancellations made more than 2 weeks (14 days) prior to the field trip date will receive a refund. There are NO refunds if a field trip is canceled within two weeks of the field trip date.
- In case of rain, Rader Family Farms will make any cancellation decisions the morning of the trip. Please call that morning if you have questions. (309) 454-6880 Ext x116.
The $10 admission fee includes:
A Farm Adventure they won't forget, including:
- Take a tram ride in the pumpkin patch and learn 'how does my pumpkin grow'.
- Visit the school house to see 'what's all the buzz' and watch our digital bee hive.
- Visit the animal barn and 'meet the critters'.
- Visit the crop circle and learn the 'top crops in IL'.
- Visit the pizza box and learn 'how to grow a pizza on the farm'.
- Slide down the Double Barrel Shoot slide; play in the Little Village (children 6 and under); bounce on the colorful Jumping Pillow and much more. We have more than 35 activities!
- All-day admission pass to all the "farmtastic" adventures at Rader Family Farms. (Apple Blasters not included)
Additional Field Trip Options (select when booking field trip)
- Use of the picnic area (reserve when booking field trip). This fee covers the holding of tables for your group and clean up. It needs to be paid along with the payment for your field trip. If your group places a lunch order with the farm, this fee is waived.
- 50 people or less = $10 fee
- 51-100 people = $20 fee
- 101-150 people = $25 fee
- 151-200 people = $35 fee
- 201-250 people = $45 fee
- 251-300 people = $55 fee
- Bonfire and sticks: $30 fee (maximum of 1 hour)
- Pick your own pumpkin from the patch: $2/pumpkin
- Little Farmer Lunch: PBJ or Hot Dog, chips and drink box. $5/lunch
- Ranch Hand Special: Two dozen donuts, one gallon apple cider and 24 cups. $35/order
- Goat food: Purchase goat food for your class to feed the goats during your field trip. Do not need to purchase one for each child. Purchase a few cups to share among your class. $4/Cup
- Case of water: 24 bottles of cold water $10
Teachers: Tips for planning your field trip
As the teacher, you know the needs of your class best. We at Rader Family Farms encourage and expect a student to teacher/chaperone ratio of 5 to 1 or better. This will help us ensure the safety of your children as we are not able to supervise them. You as the teacher will lead. your group around the farm following the itinerary you are giving at check in. If eating your lunch at the farm, we will unload your coolers in to wagons and park them at your reserved lunch tables. It is then your responsibility to get coolers loaded back on to the bus at departure time.
- An i-pad or laptop computer is needed to facilitate your learning at each of the stops on your tour. Please have each teacher bring one for their group. If you do not have access to one, please indicate on your sign-up form that you need to check out an i-pad to use while on the tour.
- Please bring inhalers, etc., for any child who may have allergies or asthma or may experience difficulties while playing on and around straw or other farm activities. A list of emergency contact phone numbers is always a good idea, too.
- Please remind students and parents that much of the field trip is outdoors and to dress appropriately. We recommend closed-toe shoes, jackets, hats, and gloves for those cool fall days; boots and raincoats if it is rainy or has rained; and play clothes that can get dirty.
- Please know that our field trip schedules are tight, so we ask that your group arrives at your designated time. We may not be able to accommodate late arrivals.
- Water fountains are not available on the farm. When on a field trip, you are allowed to bring drinks or else purchase drinks. A 24-bottle case of water is available for $10. Indicate on the signup form if you would like to purchase water.