Learning is an educational adventure on the farm!
Field Trips to Rader Family Farms are a great way to educate children through entertainment. In 2018, we hosted over 5,000 school children and their parents from in and around McLean County. We hope you make a trip to the farm part of your learning experience this fall.
Please make a field trip reservation on the calendar below.
- Register online at the bottom of this page by selecting a time slot in the calendar. An email confirmation will be sent once your reservation is complete.
- All field trips MUST be paid in full two weeks prior to your field trip date. Wristbands will be mailed to you in advance of your date. All students and teachers must arrive at the farm wearing their wristbands on the day of the field trip.
- Make your payment through Paypal or mail a check to: Rader Family Farms, Attn: Field trips, 1312 Ropp Road, Normal, IL 61761. Include the name of your School/Group and the date/time of your field trip in the Notes/Comments section on your check. This is critical for us to apply your payment to the correct field trip.
- Paypal does not allow comments with your payment, so email firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of your School/group and the date/time of your field trip and the amount of your Paypal payment. This is critical for us to apply your payment to the correct field trip.
- If additional wristbands are needed for children, they can be purchased at Admissions the day of the field trip. Please note: the field trip will not wait for those purchasing a wristband the day of the field trip. We ask that you do your very best to get numbers correct and finalize ALL payments prior to the field trip.
- Parents need to pay at the Admissions Building the day of the field trip. Teachers should NOT submit payment for admisssion for their parents.
Things to Know Regarding Field Trips
- Field trips are intended for ages 3 and up. If younger, please consider Mommy & Me Mondays, when Moms/Guardians get in for half price with their child's paid admission.
- Field Trip Hours - Field trips begin at 9 am, 10:30 am, and 12 pm on Tuesday - Friday.
- Unit 5 - Due to busing constraints, you may only select the 10:30 or 12 field trip. You are welcome to play first if you arrive prior to your start time.
- No field trips on Mondays.
- Spots are filled on a first come, first serve basis.
- Allow approximately 2 hours for your field trip.
- Please be at the 'Field Trips Start Here' sign promptly at your designated time. We reserve the right to shorten the field trip of groups that arrive 15 minutes past their scheduled time.
- Dress appropriately for outside weather. Shoes must be worn! Closed toe shoes are best. Wear jackets, hats, and gloves on cooler days.
- Accessible restroom facilities are available around the farm.
- We encourage you to bring your own drinks to have during or after your field trip. Water fountains are not available. Drinks are available for purchase.
- No outside food is allowed on the farm except for scheduled field trips.
- Please review the Farm Safety Information on our website prior to your visit.
Field Trip Admission Charges
- No charge for 1 teacher per class.
- No charge for 1 parent/teachers for homeschool groups.
- $7 charge for each child/student.
- $5 charge for additional teachers.
- $5 charge for each parent. No limit on number of parents. Age two & under are free.
- Season Passes MAY be used by a parent or teacher on a field trip. Season passes may NOT be used by students on a field trip. This is a special event with movie, popcorn, guided tour, pumpkin, and hayride.
- There is no minimum number of children required, but there is a minimum charge of $120 per field trip. This includes only children and teachers.
- Smaller groups may be combined with another group for the field trip.
- Full payment is required 2 weeks prior to the field trip.
- Once you have paid in full for your group, there are no refunds if the students do not end up coming. Please double check your numbers before paying.
- Cancellations made more than 2 weeks (14 days) prior to the field trip date will receive a refund.
The $7 Field Trip admission fee includes:
- View a farm movie in the Little Schoolhouse and enjoy a bag of popcorn
- Take a guided tram ride to the pumpkin patch and learn how pumpkins grow
- Pick your own pumpkin from the patch (for students and paid siblings only)
- Play time on all the farm activities
- Visit the animals in the new animal barn.
- Slide down the Double Barrel Shoot
- Play in the Little Village (children 6 and under only)
- Bounce on the colorful Jumping Pillow
- All day admission pass to all the "farmtastic" adventures at Rader Family Farms
Additional Field Trip Options (select when booking field trip)
- Use of the picnic area (reserve when booking field trip). This fee covers the holding of tables for your group and clean up. It needs to be paid by check or PayPal along with the payment for your field trip. If your group places a lunch order from the farm, this fee is waived.
- 50 people or less = $10 fee
- 51-100 people = $20 fee
- 101-150 people = $25 fee
- 151-200 people = $35 fee
- 201-250 people = $45 fee
- 251-300 people = $55 fee
- Bon Fire & Sticks: $25 fee (maximum of 1 hour)
- Little Farmer Lunch: Includes a hot dog, chips and drink box. $4/lunch
- Ranch Hand Special: Two dozen donuts, one gallon apple cider and 24 cups. $30/order
Special Opportunity Groups-
Admission to the farm is $5/child with helpers/teachers/paraprofessionals being free. There is a handout available at Admissions that details learning opportunities for your group so that you are able to do a self-guided field trip around the farm. Please be aware that since you are not a registered field trip, your admission fee DOES NOT include a tram ride, a pumpkin to take home, reserved tables for lunch or permission to bring a sack lunch into the farm.
Teachers - Helpful Tips in planning your school field trip
As the teacher, you know the needs of your class best. We at Rader Family Farms encourage and expect a student to teacher/chaperone ratio of 5 to 1 or better. This will help us ensure the safety of your children as we are not able to supervise them.
- Please bring inhalers etc. for any child who may have allergies or asthma or may experience difficulties while playing on and around straw or other farm activities. A list of emergency contact phone numbers is always a good idea, too.
- Please remind students and parents that much of the field trip is outdoors and to dress appropriately. We recommend: Closed-toe shoes, jackets, hats, and gloves for those cool fall days, boots and raincoats if it is rainy or has rained and playclothes that can get dirty.
- Please know that our field trip schedules are tight, and so we ask that your group arrives at your designated time. We may not be able to accommodate late arrivals.
- We encourage you to bring your own drinks to have during or after your field trip.
- Popcorn ingredients include: hydrogenated coconut oil, palm oil, hydrogenated cottonseed oil, beta carotene color (E160a), artificial and natural flavoring, salt, FD&C Yellow #5 Lake (E102), FD&C Yellow #6 Lake (E110), soy.
Sowing Seeds in Second
Sowing Seeds in Second is a unique field trip designed just for 2nd graders and will provide a unique and fun introduction to agriculture and an appreciation for all the things that begin on the farm. Our mission at Rader Family Farms is to educate while we entertain and we hope to do just that for all the second graders who are sponsored to attend as a part of this program. These field trips are only available for two weeks in September (9/10-9/20). Please note: this program began in 2015 and we hope to expand it each year. Your 2nd grade class must be invited to be a part of the program in order to sign up for this particular field trip.
How to Sign Up for the ‘Sowing Seeds in Second’ Field Trip
- Click on the Field Trips tab.
- Scroll down to the calendar near the bottom of the page and select a date between 9/10 and 9/20. Select New Reservation. Three time slots are available each Tuesday through Friday, 9:00, 10:30, and 12:00.
- The guided portion of the field trip will last about 1.5 hours. The classes are welcome to stay and play at the farm if time allows. Picnic areas can be reserved for your class if you would like to bring a lunch .
- Enter the information on the field trip sign up form and complete the sign up process.
- Select "Sowing Seeds in Second' on the sign up form under the Field Trip Deposit.
- We ask from each class:
- Wear your Sowing Seeds in Second T-Shirts for the field trip.
- Make sure you attend on your scheduled date and time.
- Be on time as we have field trip guides ready and waiting to lead each group around the farm.
- Send a note of thanks to the generous "Sowing Seeds in Second" sponsors after your time spent at the farm. Addresses will be provided to the teacher at the field trip.