Field Trips and Educational Experiences
Unfortunately, due to lingering COVID-related restrictions, our traditional field trip has changed and looks a little bit different for our 2021 season. Our field trips this year are all outdoors and will include the following: outside classroom to learn how a pumpkin grows, a visit to our animal friends, tram ride out to pick your pumpkin and a stop to play on one of our farmyard activities.
If your family, class or another small group wants to schedule an Educational Experience either in person or through a virtual tour, please contact: FieldTrips@RaderFamilyFarms.com
Learning is an educational adventure on the farm!
Field Trips to Rader Family Farms are a great way to educate children through entertainment. In 2019, we hosted over 4,200 school children and their parents from in and around McLean County. We hope you make a trip to the farm part of your learning experience this fall.
Please make a reservation for your Field Trip on the calendar below.
- Register online at the bottom of this page by selecting a time slot in the calendar. An email confirmation will be sent once your reservation is complete.
- All field trips MUST be paid in full two weeks prior to your field trip date and admission wristbands picked up at Admissions prior to your field trip.
- Payment may be made in one of two ways: Come to Admissions during regular farm hours to make payment (cash, check or credit card) and pick up bands OR call the farm (309) 454-6880 ext. 116 to make a credit card payment, then come to Admissions during regular farm hours to pick up bands prior to your field trip. All students and teachers must arrive at the farm wearing their wristbands on the day of the field trip.
- If additional wristbands are needed for children, they can be purchased at Admissions the day of the field trip. Please note: the field trip will not wait for those purchasing a wristband the day of the field trip. We ask that you do your best to get numbers correct and finalize ALL payments prior to the field trip.
- Parents need to pay at Admissions the day of the field trip. Teachers should NOT submit admission payment for their parents.
Things to know regarding Field Trips
- Field trips are intended for those age 3 through 3rd grade.
- We are following the CDC requirements on the farm to limit exposure by wearing face masks and social distancing. Bring a face mask for everyone. If you forget, they can be purchased at the farm.
- Field trips begin at 10 a.m., noon, and 2 and 4 p.m. on Wednesdays through Fridays. No field trips on Mondays or Tuesdays.
- You are welcome to play first if you arrive prior to your start time.
- Spots are filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Allow approximately 1.5 hours for your field trip and also some time for free play on all the activities.
- Please be at the Round-Up starting point promptly at your designated time. We reserve the right to shorten the field trip of groups that arrive 15 minutes past their scheduled time.
- Dress appropriately for outside weather. Shoes must be worn! Closed-toe shoes are best. Wear jackets, hats, and gloves on cooler days.
- Accessible restroom facilities are available around the farm.
- Water fountains are not available on the farm. ONLY when on a field trip are you allowed to bring drinks. Drinks are available for purchase. A 24-bottle case of water is available for $10.
- NO OUTSIDE FOOD is allowed on the farm except for scheduled field trips.
- Please review the Farm Safety Information on our website prior to your visit.
Field Trip admission charges
- No charge for 1 teacher per class.
- No charge for 1 parent/teacher for homeschool groups.
- $7 charge for each child/student.
- $5 charge for additional teachers.
- $5 charge for each parent. No limit on number of parents. Age 2 and under are free.
- Season Passes MAY be used by a parent, sibling or teacher on a field trip. Season passes may NOT be used by students on a field trip. This is a special event with guided tour, pumpkin and tram ride.
- There is no minimum number of children required, but there is a minimum charge of $150 per field trip/per visit. This minimum dollar amount includes admission cost for children and teachers and the picnic area fee.
- Smaller groups may be combined with another group for the field trip.
- Full payment is required two weeks prior to the field trip and admission bands must be picked up at the farm prior to your visit.
- Once you have paid in full for your group, there are no refunds if the students do not end up coming. Please double check your numbers before paying.
- Cancellations made more than 2 weeks (14 days) prior to the field trip date will receive a refund. There are NO refunds if a field trip is canceled within two weeks of the field trip date.
The $7 admission fee includes:
- Take a guided tram ride to the pumpkin patch and learn how pumpkins grow.
- Pick your own pumpkin from the patch (for students and paid siblings only).
- Play time on all the farm activities (does not include Apple Blasters).
- Visit the animals in the animal barn.
- Slide down the Double Barrel Shoot slide; play in the Little Village (children 6 and under only); bounce on the colorful Jumping Pillow and much more (we have more than 30 activities!).
- All-day admission pass to all the "farmtastic" adventures at Rader Family Farms
Additional Field Trip Options (select when booking field trip)
- Use of the picnic area (reserve when booking field trip). This fee covers the holding of tables for your group and clean up. It needs to be paid along with the payment for your field trip. If your group places a lunch order with the farm, this fee is waived.
- 50 people or less = $10 fee
- 51-100 people = $20 fee
- 101-150 people = $25 fee
- 151-200 people = $35 fee
- 201-250 people = $45 fee
- 251-300 people = $55 fee
- Bonfire and sticks: $30 fee (maximum of 1 hour)
- Little Farmer Lunch: Includes a hot dog or PBJ, chips and drink box. $5/lunch
- Ranch Hand Special: Two dozen donuts, one gallon apple cider and 24 cups. $35/order
- Goat food: Purchase goat food for your class to feed the goats AFTER your field trip. Do not need to purchase one for each child. Purchase a few cups to share among your class. $4/Cup
- Case of water: 24 bottles of cold water $10
Groups of individuals with disabilities
Admission to the farm is $8 weekdays and $12 weekends, with paraprofessionals being free. Please be aware that since you are not a registered field trip, your admission fee DOES NOT include a tram ride, a pumpkin to take home, reserved tables for lunch or permission to bring a sack lunch into the farm.
Teachers: Tips for planning your field trip
As the teacher, you know the needs of your class best. We at Rader Family Farms encourage and expect a student to teacher/chaperone ratio of 5 to 1 or better. This will help us ensure the safety of your children as we are not able to supervise them.
- Please bring inhalers, etc., for any child who may have allergies or asthma or may experience difficulties while playing on and around straw or other farm activities. A list of emergency contact phone numbers is always a good idea, too.
- Please remind students and parents that much of the field trip is outdoors and to dress appropriately. We recommend closed-toe shoes, jackets, hats, and gloves for those cool fall days; boots and raincoats if it is rainy or has rained; and play clothes that can get dirty.
- Please know that our field trip schedules are tight, so we ask that your group arrives at your designated time. We may not be able to accommodate late arrivals.
- Water fountains are not available on the farm. When on a field trip, you are allowed to bring drinks or else purchase drinks. A 24-bottle case of water is available for $10. Indicate on the signup form if you would like to purchase water.